Información para pasajeros de la línea Orange de Metrorail Washington - Cierre de SafeTrack
Washington Metrorail SafeTrack Project #15
Orange Line closure and using MARC Train as an alternative
Welcome to MARC Train! We are glad to have Washington Metro passengers use our service due to the closure of the Washington Metrorail Orange line from May 16 to June 16. Riding MARC is easy -- but there are some important things to be aware of before you travel.
The MARC Penn Line stations that will be most affected by the Metro closure are Bowie State, Seabrook, and New Carrollton. While we are prepared to welcome extra customers on MARC, our capacity is limited. It is likely that trains will be very crowded and you may have to stand. Boarding will be stopped on trains when they reach a safe capacity. Having a ticket does not guarantee a space or passage on a train; you may have to wait to take a later train. Please allow extra time to get to your destination and arrive at your boarding station early. The information that follows is very important and will help make your trip on MARC more enjoyable.
Click here to download the MARC Penn Line timetable (Page 1 has the weekend schedule and Page 2 has the weekday schedule). You may also download a printer-friendly format of the weekday and weekend schedule. Please note that some trains during the rush hour do not stop at New Carrollton, Seabrook, or Bowie State and that there is no weekend service at Seabrook.
The Camden Line provides an alternative for some passengers to consider; download a copy of the schedule.
- There is ample paid parking at New Carrollton. Click here for full information.
- Seabrook parking is free, however, it is usually filled by 7:45am. Please observe all "No Parking" and residential parking permit signs in the surrounding neighborhoods and streets. Offending cars will be ticketed or towed by Prince Georges County Police.
- Bowie State parking is free and there are spaces available. Note that there are two parking lots, one on the University side and one off Lemons Bridge Road. The available parking spots are located in the Lemons Bridge Road parking lot.
A one way ticket from Washington to New Carrollton or Seabrook is $5.00 and a ticket from Washington to Bowie State is $6.00. Round trip tickets are not offered; please purchase two one way tickets. Monthly and weekly fares as well as discounted fares for seniors and passengers with disabilities are available as well. MARC one-way tickets are valid for six months and are good for travel in both directions (example: A ticket that says "Bowie State to Washington" is valid from Washington to Bowie State). We encourage you to purchase tickets in advance.
How to Buy a Ticket
- Washington Union Station and New Carrollton: Tickets are sold at the Amtrak ticket counter (all forms of payment) and the Amtrak ticket machines (credit card only). When purchasing a ticket from the ticket machine, on the first screen do not press "one way" or "round trip", press "Purchase MARC tickets" which is the last option. The New Carrollton waiting room and ticket office are not open on the weekend; you may purchase tickets from the conductor with cash only (no credit cards or checks accepted).
- Seabrook: Tickets are sold by the Conductor on board the train, with cash only (no credit cards or checks accepted). Please have your cash ready for the Conductor when the train arrives. While exact change is not required, bills larger than $20.00 are not accepted.
- Bowie State: From 6:00am to 10:00am, a MARC sales representative will be at Bowie State selling tickets. All other times, tickets are sold by the Conductor on board the train. The MARC sales rep will accept credit cards and cash, while Conductors will accept cash only. Please have your cash ready for the Conductor when the train arrives. While exact change is not required, bills larger than $20.00 are not accepted.
- Please note that Google Maps has an erronious location for the Bowie State MARC station. The real location is about 1000 feet south of where the Google Maps icon is for the station, adjacent to Route 197. The "Bowie State MARC Park and Ride" icon (linked above) is correct.
- You may also purchase your tickets online at MARC's online ticket website. Please note that MARC does not currently offer E-ticket or mobile ticketing, paper tickets must be mailed. Allow 4-5 business days for delivery.
- Tickets may also be purchased at the Odenton MARC Train Station. The station is open Monday-Friday 4:45am to 7:00pm, Saturday 7:30am-3:45pm, and Sunday 9:15am-1:30pm.
What to expect during your ride
- Parking lots, platforms, and trains will be crowded, so you should arrive at your station 20 minutes prior to your train's scheduled departure.
- At Bowie State and New Carrollton, you must purchase a ticket or present a valid ticket to Amtrak or MARC Train staff prior to entering the platform area. At Seabrook, tickets will be collected and sold on the platform by the train Conductors. Please have your tickets out and ready for collection or inspection to speed this process.
- Amtrak and MTA staff will be on hand to assist passengers, provide information, and ensure crowd management. Please follow Amtrak and MTA staff direction.
- It is possible that some trains will have limited boarding based on crowding. We thank you in advance for your patience. Passengers who are not able to board a train due to overcrowding will be prioritized to board the next train. Trains operate on 15-25 minutes headways in the morning, so please allow extra time to get to your destination.
- When boarding the train, please move inside and to the center of the car; do not stop just inside the doors. This will ensure that there is enough space for standees. Do not stand in the area between two railcars.
- In the afternoon, please follow directions from Amtrak and MARC staff at Union Station. Trains begin boarding 15-20 minutes prior to departure. Remain inside the station at the designated boarding gate until your train is announced for boarding.
Thank you for riding MARC Train. We hope that you enjoy your trip!